I had all kinds of plans for making Father's Day great for Michael, but Saturday night I threw my back out. At least, that's what I think happened--one minute, I was watering the plants, something snapped, and I couldn't move. This morning Michael had meetings at 7, so we skipped the breakfast in bed, and I hobbled in to make eggs and toast (his preferred breakfast anyway). Off he went, and I attempted to get through the morning. Rebekah and I painted a Father's Day card, and then I took her in for a bath.
Out of the tub, she proceeded to pee on the carpet. After getting that cleaned up, I went for a shower myself, and got ready in the bathroom. I had been worried that would be clingy because it was tough for me to pick her up, so I was so pleased that she was entertaining herself in the other room. When I went out, however, I found that she had gone back and forth from the patio to the living room, bringing in handfuls of dirt from my plants. Another look around the room showed that she had gotten cereal boxes from the pantry and shaken them out onto the carpet.
A quick lecture, the room vacuumed, I went back to getting ready, after making sure all access to areas of trouble was closed. I left her peacefully coloring close by. You veteran mothers all see where this is going--sure enough, crayon all over the front door.
Despite all this, I was surprised to find myself close to tears by the time Michael came home to help us get to church. A few hours later showed the reason--I started my period. At church.
Somehow we made it through the day, had a great dinner at Michael's family's, and even though he wants to return the present I got him, at least his Father's Day was better than mine.
Out of the tub, she proceeded to pee on the carpet. After getting that cleaned up, I went for a shower myself, and got ready in the bathroom. I had been worried that would be clingy because it was tough for me to pick her up, so I was so pleased that she was entertaining herself in the other room. When I went out, however, I found that she had gone back and forth from the patio to the living room, bringing in handfuls of dirt from my plants. Another look around the room showed that she had gotten cereal boxes from the pantry and shaken them out onto the carpet.
A quick lecture, the room vacuumed, I went back to getting ready, after making sure all access to areas of trouble was closed. I left her peacefully coloring close by. You veteran mothers all see where this is going--sure enough, crayon all over the front door.
Despite all this, I was surprised to find myself close to tears by the time Michael came home to help us get to church. A few hours later showed the reason--I started my period. At church.
Somehow we made it through the day, had a great dinner at Michael's family's, and even though he wants to return the present I got him, at least his Father's Day was better than mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment